Thursday, April 13, 2006

Band of the Week: Lavender Diamond

It took me awhile to get into Lavender Diamond. I first saw them play a free residency show at The Echo on Halloween and, while I could admit that singer Becky Stark had an incredible voice, I just had a hard time standing still that night. I’d gone because my friend George -- who always seems obsessed about three or four bands I’ve never even heard of before -- said that listening to the indy folk Lavender Diamond "makes me happy." Instead of hanging around to hear why, I followed my impatient friend Kelly out to the smoking area and didn’t give the band a proper chance.

But recently, I saw them open up at the Irving album release party at King King in Hollywood and they blew me away.

I don’t know what it is... I guess it sometimes can hard to simply let yourself go and enjoy listening to something that optimistic and pretty – maybe it’s some cynical aspect of yourself or some jaded, self-conscious side that make it’s tough – but that night, Stark’s voice was transfixing. She came out on stage like some sort of magical princess of Oz, singing songs off the band’s Cavalry of Light EP and her own solo album Artifacts of the Winged, and melted away any resistance I had.

And pow. Not only did it suddenly just click why so many of my friends had been talking about them, but I found that I strangely couldn't stop smiling during their set.

If that sounds like I've joined Lavender Diamond's cult, then I guess I've drank the Kool-Aid because I can’t wait to see them play again.

Unfortunately, they have no shows announced. I've heard some talk around town about how they were recently signed to some offshoot branch of a major label, but can't find any confirmation of that online, and don't even know if they're working on new recordings or not.

I'll do my best Nancy Drew and see what I can turn up...

1 Comments:

Blogger Chriswab said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home