Wednesday, January 07, 2009

EGM, I Knew You Well...

It's nothing to do with the indie rock, but who cares? I found out last night Electronic Gaming Monthly, a video game magazine I worked at in SF five years back, is closing down and many of the staff have been laid off. And it sucks.

My time at EGM was some of the most fun I've had in my entire professional career. The people there were fun, interesting, well-read... great to talk to, share ideas with, trade books/movies/music/game recommendations, drink with, whatever... Just really good people.

As someone who has some experience in layoffs -- I'm on my second but have interviews lined up with some great game companies -- I can say that sometimes these things work out for the best.

It's going to be rough for everyone the next few weeks and possibly months -- it's tough facing the unknown in a troubled market -- but I know that based on what I saw when I was there, these people will land in much better places.

Tomorrow, it'll be back to the indie rock: a look at what a lot of your favorite bands have planned next.

But, regards, guys. Regards.

1 Comments:

Blogger austin said...

wow...thats really too bad. they were the best videogame mag on the market.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home