Saturday, February 25, 2006

Music News is for Lovers

So, yesterday I mentioned that Film School is coming back to town on April 1st at The Troubadour, which is great news to me because I’ve been listening to their recent album for the last few weeks and loving it.
Oddly enough, many of my friends seem to have been fetishing out on it almost as much as I’ve been, all independently of one another.

What's it like? Well, it’s charmingly raw and loose, kind of like Wolf Parade’s last release, and sometimes nods towards your favorite, faster Cure songs. But I'd rather just tell you to go to their myspace page and listen to "On and On" to start.

They’re opening up for Cloud Room, a band that’s supposed to have built up some buzz playing in NYC and at SXSW. I don’t know much about them besides listening to a few so-so songs on their website (they – gasp! – don’t have a myspace page) and reading a middling review of their debut on Pitchfork. (Granted, those guys didn’t care much for the new Film School, so I might have to take them with a grain of salt now.)

What I didn’t know until today is that local indie pop favorites Space Mtn will be the first opening band that night. So, Film School and Space Mtn? Sounds like a good show to me, whatever the headliner sounds like.

In other news, local indie pop acts Irving and Green and Yellow TV both have new albums out (or are coming out any day), and chamber pop superstars Saturday Looks Good to Me have released a collection of thirty rare tracks and b-sides on Redder Records.

So, yeah. It might be worth trying to order the cds off their sites or heading down to Sea Level Records in Echo Park to see if Sea Level Todd has copies for you.

Basically, today's a good day to like music...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home