Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What's Next In LA Music?

With few exceptions, I've been really bad about hunting down new local music lately. I mean, there are a few dozen LA bands that I love and have seen play six or eight times now -- and could easily catch another six or eight times and still not get sick of them -- but I've got more time free now that work has chilled out and feel compelled to check out some groups I've never heard before.

That in mind, I'm really sorry that I missed LA Underground's event at Mr T's Bowl last Saturday night because there were six acts I've meant to see: Cobra Lilies, No Little Kindness, Avi Buffalo, Ema and The Ghosts, The Sweet Hurt, and Tenlons Fort. (Mouse did a review here.) As The Movies say, missed opportunities are here again...

Beyond those guys, I'd like to see shoegaze act Lower Heaven, acoustic pop group Alex & Sam, the hard-to-describe Carré is Queen Kwong, the Square Girls' recommended act The Tartans, the loudies known as The Poor Excuses, and more.

Please post a comment below if you have any recommendations.

6 Comments:

Blogger amnion said...

Hi Joe, Aaron here. If you like Tom Waits, you'll probably like John Webster Johns. He's probably an inconsistent performer, but Nikki and I saw him a couple months back at 3Clubs and have been listening to his "Light Show" ever since . It's an intense record. He plays at Grotesque in Echo Park on the 29th of this month with a full horn section and piano/gongs. 1932 Echo PArk Ave.
http://myspace.com/johnwebsterjohns

keegan might even dig it. it's relatively quiet music.

3:07 PM  
Blogger JAX said...

Long Beach has a ridiculously awesome scene right now: Crystal Antlers, Katie The Pest, The Soft Hands, Magic Lantern. You also cant forget tweak bird and pocahaunted.

I also think Rumspringa and The Franks are going to start getting out there as well

6:08 PM  
Blogger Keith and Kathy said...

You can catch both Tenlons Fort and Alex & Sam at Hotel Cafe this Thursday, March 27.

5:52 AM  
Blogger by Joanna DeVoe said...

Obedient Waves! They're doing a YouTube Video/EP series campaign called ROCK & ROLL 4 PRESiDENT & are playing Silverlake Lounge April 8th.
http://www.myspace.com/obedientwaves

1:44 PM  
Blogger weheartmusic said...

I think 2008 is the year the females take over this music scene. Every time I see Karin Tatoyan, I am blown away! I am also really interested in seeing Carre is Queen Kwong.

12:01 AM  
Blogger leigha said...

Come check out your Los Feliz neighbor Hana Pestle at the Hotel Cafe on April 12 at 7 or On the Rox on April 24 at 9:30 http//www.myspace.com/hanatunes

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home